Friday, June 5, 2009

The Aroma of Christ

The year: 2001...in my pea pod apartment....literally crying out to God....A disheveled man in his 50's-60's had come into the store where I was working that day...the town "drunk"...living out of his van, and he wanted to buy a cell phone. There was an essence so deep and poignant about him - smacking me full head-on...That visible CRASH in the spirit realm where we see and hear the effect of our own self-righteousness that has no effect to change the lives of others....I couldn't escape the question resounding as if I'd just yelled over the Grand Canyon, itself....Where was The Church for this homeless man? Why was nothing made available to him to which he could avail himself in his time of need? (Please know that I had no idea what he'd tried to do in his city, but the Lord opened my eyes to see the suffering about me in the midst of those who call ourselves: The Church.)

The Lord revealed the following vision during prayer....I was in a forest of type...a small clearing with a "campfire" set...The wood neatly arranged in the campfire....The stove pot of stew hanging above it - full of vegetables and meat - ready to feed any hungry camper or passerby....Then I saw people...wandering...aimless....starving....eyes sunken and glazed....approaching the kettle hanging above the collection of wood....nearly tripping over it. ~But no one saw the food...They wandered in oblivion to what they had just passed....I wanted to shout out..."HEY! IT'S OVER HERE! YOU JUST MISSED IT!!!".....My heart sunk and ached deep within....The hungry continued to wander about...still starving...still aimless.
....LORD! Why didn't these people see the food which was so readily available? What happened????...."My Child, did you see the wood? It was unlit, so there was no fire. The wood just sat there....There was no fire....Without fire, the wood will not heat the dinner which awaits...without fire, no heat, no cooking....and NO AROMA....There is no aroma, because the fire has gone out of My Church in America. Wood sits ready in her pews...but there is no fire."

I will close with the following excerpt quoted from Leonard Ravenhill's sermon, "Are We Willing to Drink His Cup?", 10/25/85 and can be accessed in full at: http://www.ravenhill.org/drinkcup.htm
"I was reading a couple of pages in the Marechales life yesterday. I like to turn to that book. She was the oldest daughter of the founder of the Salvation Army. Even when she was 85 years of age she could preach up a storm.
"One night," she said, "I went to Brussels. I went to a large mansion loaded with antiques and costly things. It was beautiful. It was owned by a Christian. I noticed a sweet girl there, at about 9 o’clock each morning she would come out of the servant’s quarters radiant.
I said to her one day, ‘My dearie, I want to ask you a question. I’ve noticed the last few mornings while having my breakfast, after coming out of your servant’s quarters, you are so radiant!’ She replied, ‘I begin at 5 o’clock in the morning.’ ‘5 o’clock?! To what time?’ ‘Well, breakfast is at 8. Usually I have the last fire going by about half past 7.’ ‘How do you do it?’‘I just kneel in front of it. I sweep all the ashes on one side. I put them in a bucket. I get some paper and some kindling wood.’ (And boy, getting coal to catch fire is a job!) ‘I go in that room and get that fire going. I go in the next, I go to the next. I go back and the first one’s gone out, so I do it over again. But eventually I get to breakfast a minute or two before 8 o’clock. I’ve lit my 12 fires.’‘Don’t you get impatient?’‘No.’‘Well, you say the fires have gone out?’‘Yes, they often go out.’‘Well, do you get up early for devotions?’‘No,’ she said, ‘Not very early.’‘Well, how do you maintain you spiritual life?’She said, ‘Every time I light a fire, I say, Jesus, while I’m kindling this fire, kindle a fire in me!’
Kindle a fire of Your love afresh in me this morning! Kindle a fire of Your devotion in me!

Here’s this precious little girl talking to one of the most powerful women in the world. A women who, at 21 years of age, went to Paris and turned the city upside-down preaching to all the prostitutes. The queen of the underworld was there. Men came from the Sorbone, the greatest intellectuals with their long beards and their pipes, and listened to her.
And yet the Marechale said that young lady taught me more than most sermons I’d ever heard.
She had to light the fire, get bellows, blow the things up and try to get them going. She said, "At every fire place, I never missed one morning saying, ‘Lord as I’m kindling this fire, kindle Your fire in me.’" The fire of love for Your will. The fire of love. The fire of joy. The fire of peace. The fire of compassion.
If this fire came back to the Church, we’d turn America upside-down in six months.
Ours is all theology. We get a starving man and give him a cookbook. Does it help him? He looks in the cookbook and sees there a dish with potatoes, beef, etc. What do you do? You tantalize him! You say, "Oh, I hope one day you can come to our place We’re going to have this dish, this beef, this turkey, and something else." And yet the poor man is ravenously hungry! We give him a picture, but we don’t give him the goods! At the average church on Sunday morning, they give you the menu, but they never give you the meal. They give an outline of theology: ‘This is our precious doctrine." So, most people will be reciting doctrine in Hell."

LORD JESUS, SET OUR HEARTS ON FIRE FOR YOU AND YOUR KINGDOM, ONCE AGAIN! COME, LORD JESUS, COME!

2 Cor. 2:14-16 "But thanks be to God, Who in Christ always leads us in triumph [as trophies of Christ's victory] and through us spreads and makes evident the fragrance of the knowledge of God everywhere, For we are the sweet fragrance of Christ [which exhales] unto God, [discernible alike] among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the latter it is an aroma [wafted] from death [a fatal odor, the smell of doom]; to the former it is an aroma from life [a vital fragrance, living and fresh]. And who is qualified (fit and sufficient) for these things? [Who is able for such a ministry? We?]...Amplified Bible

Revelation 3:15-22 "I know your [record of] works and what you are doing; you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of My mouth! For you say, I am rich; I have prospered and grown wealthy, and I am in need of nothing; and you do not realize and understand that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. Therefore I counsel you to purchase from Me gold refined and tested by fire, that you may be [truly] wealthy, and white clothes to clothe you and to keep the shame of your nudity from being seen, and salve to put on your eyes, that you may see. Those whom I [dearly and tenderly] love, I tell their faults and convict and convince and reprove and chasten [I discipline and instruct them]. So be enthusiastic and in earnest and burning with zeal and repent [changing your mind and attitude]. Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears and listens to and heeds My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will eat with him, and he [will eat] with Me. He who overcomes (is victorious), I will grant him to sit beside Me on My throne, as I Myself overcame (was victorious) and sat down beside My Father on His throne. He who is able to hear, let him listen to and heed what the [Holy] Spirit says to the assemblies (churches)."...Amplified Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome ~

The purpose of this blog is to encourage our walk in Christ; together in Him; for as we develop our relationship with the Lord, we ARE more than conquerors through Christ Jesus! Praise God! My writings are mostly from an experiential standpoint; however sometimes this includes dreams and visions. (Comments are reviewed prior to posting.)