Strong’s #1847 - Knowing, Understanding, Intelligence, Wisdom, Discernment, Skill
Prov. 1:7 NKJV : “For the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and knowledge.”
Amplified: “The reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord is the beginning and the principal and choice part of knowledge [its starting point and its essence]; but fools despise skillful and godly Wisdom, instruction, and discipline.” (Amp. Version)
The Fear of God:Strong’s Concordance #4172, morah as: “Fear, reverence, terror, awe; an object of fear, respect, or reverence. Morah is derived from yare’, “to be afraid of, to fear, to reverence.” (Reverence, semnos: Strong’s #4586: Behavior that is dignified, honorable, decent, august, worthy of respect.)
There are those in Christian leadership today who are not preaching holiness and making it sound as if we are all friends of God through professing Christ as our Savior. This is called apostasy. Jesus says that we are His friends IF we do whatever He commands us. (John 14:15) This is a conditional statement which demands our attention.
Beware of teachings which put emphasis upon relationship with the Lord without accountability/responsibility on our part.
2. We are all naked before God. Heb. 4:13 “And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give and account.“ What we do, say in private is just as open to God as what we do in public. A good question to ask ourselves: “If Jesus were standing/sitting next to me right now, would I do what I am doing?” Well, He is anyway.
3. We will all be judged.
4. We are to live sanctified, holy lives - To be holy as the Lord, Himself is holy; to come out and be separate. To be sanctified (separated from the world) in thought, deed, action, motive, character, speech and habits.Scriptures:
1) Examine our fruit: Matt. 7:15-21, Gal. 5:22-25
2) Realize that what comes out of a mouth/heart defiles a person. Matt. 15:11, Eph. 4:29-32
3) Our lips may say, “Yes, Lord.”…but our heart is far from Him. (Matt. 15:8)
4) We all have choices in how we shall live; this day/today. Joshua 24:15
5) We are only His friend, IF we do His will. John 14:15
6) Avoid those who preach that it is not necessary to live holy and righteously! Eph. 5:7, Ephesians 5:1-7, 8-14, 15-21, Jude 3-4, 16-25
Reverential Fear of the Lord --->Leads to Holy and Right Living which is pleasing to the Lord
Where do I go from here?
1) Ask the Lord to examine my heart that we may live a holy, sanctified life out of our reverence, love and awe for Him. (Ps. 139:23-24)
2) Love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and body. (Deut. 6:5)
3) Love our neighbor as ourselves. (Lev. 19:18)
4) Be obedient to His Will and Word
*Obedience is better than sacrifice (1 Sam. 15:22b)
Prayer:“Lord, I commit this day, right now, to walk in righteousness before You. Forgive me for the way in which I have strayed from You and Your Word. I ask You to search me and know me and see if there be any wicked or hurtful way in me and lead me in the way everlasting…on Your path of righteousness for Your Name sake. God, I ask that You put such reverence and love in my heart for You, that I purpose in my heart to live holy before You. Show me. Lead me. Send Your Holy Spirit to do what I am unable to do for myself…for I know that I can’t, but You can. Therefore I move my pieces. I choose this day to live in obedience to Your Word that Your Glory may be known among the nations. Amen and Hallelujah!”